Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ornamental

Hi Everyone!  I hope your having a splendid week.  Today I have my entry for the weekly Compendium of Curiosities 2 challenge over at Studio L3.   The challenge this week is Alcohol Ink Palette and it can be found on page 52 of the fabulous book by Tim Holtz titled A Compendium of Curiosities Vol 2.  Of course, I can't explain the details of the technique.  For that you need to get your hands on a copy of the book which you can do here.

I followed the steps for the technique, as outlined in the book, and created my ink palette.  Using the ink palette I decorated two plastic ornaments that I purchased at Michael's.

 


In the center of the round ornament is the larger snowflake from the Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations Mini Snowflake Rosettes Decorative Strip die.  The snowflake was inked with Distress Ink in Salty Ocean and the embellished with Ranger Stickles in Stardust.  I tinted the rhinestones to match using my alcohol ink palette.  The Idea-ology Crinkle Ribbon was dyed with Distress Stains in Faded Jeans and Broken China.

The square ornament was designed to look like a present and is decorated with pearls and rhinestones in varying colors.  The Idea-ology Crinkle Ribbon was dyed with Distress Stain in Fired Brick and Worn Lipstick.

I love that I was able to create pearls and rhinestones in such a variety of different colors using only plain clear rhinestones and plain white pearls!  It certainly would have been more costly to purchase all of the different colors individually.  I'll definitely be looking for other ways to use this ink palette!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Now go make something!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Donna, These look fabulous! Brilliant work. Nice trick to colour the pearls and gems. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful, Donna! These will look so nice on your tree! My snowflake die should be arriving any day now - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally gorgeous!!! I love the translucentness...is that a word? I need that snowflake die! You have the newest stuff so fast already! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!! Thanks for stopping into my blog!! I see you love Tim Holtz as much as I do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to see the blue one in person and I can tell you, it's more beautiful IRL!

    ReplyDelete