Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Frilly and Funkie Challenge - April in Paris


Hello and welcome to another Frilly and Funkie challenge!  The theme for this challenge, hosted by me(!), is April in Paris.  Ooooh-la-la!  Think Spring in Paris...outdoor markets and cafes, daffodils, tulips and lavender in bloom, and flowering trees.  But to qualify, you must include an image of a French landmark, such as the Eiffel Tower, French text or a French word.
 
Well, in my entry I covered all three of those!!  I used Karen Burniston's Sizzix Accordion Flip 3-D album die along with her Frame & Label-Bracket die to create this Paris-themed accordion album!  The size made it a little difficult to photograph so if you click on the photos below you'll see more detail.
 
 
 







I started off with a paper from Tim's Lost & Found and Destinations paper stash pads. Then I pulled out some Tim stamps as well as various stamps from my own collection and stamped them on manilla cardstock with Ranger black ink. Some images were colored with distress markers using the detail water brush and all were distressed with brushed corduroy and/or walnut stain distress ink. Then the fun began! I chose which images to use and arranged them in the album, from beginning to end, to weave a journey through Paris!

A close-up of the front panel of the album shows the detail in the Eiffel Tower.  It was die cut from chipboard using Tim's new die and then embossed using the matching texture fade folder.  I confess I tried several different applications of paint and metallic stain, sanding and then repainting and adding stain again trying to get the right effect.  I'm not sure that I did but I finally realized that I wasn't really getting anything different so I stopped!

And of course I couldn't neglect the back of the album so I used my Sizzix Serif Essentials dies to cut multiples of each letter and then stacked them for dimension.  I also included the fleur-de-lis, interpreted "Lily Flower", which was cut and embossed with the same die mentioned above.  Then it was painted with a gold paint dabber, sprayed with white dylusions spray and then distressed with walnut stain distress ink.  Interestingly enough, even though the fleur-de-lis symbol is an enduring symbol of France it has never been officially adopted as such by any of the French republics!


Thank you so much for stopping by to check out my challenge project!  I hope like it.  Maybe you are inspired to create something very Parisian and enter it over at Frilly and Funkie, oui?!  We'd love to see it!

I'd also like to enter this at Simon Says Stamp and Show where this week's challenge theme is "Fly".  One of my other goals is to someday fly in a hot air balloon and I've included one on this album!  Now if I was able to fly in a hot air balloon over Paris...that would be icing on the cake!!

The following items that I used on my project can be found at The Funkie Junkie Boutique! The boutique offers it's merchandise at up to a 20% discount from the typical retail price! That's a great deal and you should check it out!!
 

20 comments:

  1. A really fab make, gorgeous details hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh la la Donna! Love what you've done here. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna...this is just phenomenal! I love everything about it!! I just got that die cut and can't wait to try it! :) Your Paris piece is simply amazing! Every little section if just FILLED with such gorgeous stamped and colored and placed images. Wow! You have outdone yourself on this one! Thanks for sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats really phenomenal! So much details to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is WOW!! Wish I had just a smidge of your creativity little sis...So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo! Totally stunning. I could look at that for ages! Love it! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just had to come by and say - this is absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hold on as I am picking myself off the floor! Holy Cow, Donna, this is flipping amazing! What a gorgeous Paris themed project and so many details of perfection! Love this and great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hats off to you, Donna! You totally owned this challenge with this amazing piece of artwork! This is just phenomenal - so many wonderful Parisian details. I can't even say what I like about it because I LOVE every single detail. Thanks for such a stunning piece of eye candy for our readers and for such a FUN challenge!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could stare at it all day! You really made this die sing with all your amazing details. Ooh la la!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING! Beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous accordion. The warm neutral tones are gorgeous and the array of Paris images are wonderful. I love how,you added PARIS to the reverse too along with the fleur de lis. Beautiful design. Thanks so much for,joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE this...so Creative and Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this!!!! Every image is fabulous on this long creativity beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is phenominal, Donna! Someday I want to go to Paris. I think you captured the essence beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Donna! This is really amazing! Love all the layers you've added to this pretty card! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Donna. I'm back! I wanted to thank you so much for the comment you left on my blog about the background album that I made for this week's SSSS challenge. Yep...I made the cover in the better part of a morning...but it was just one of those mornings where everything was clicking on all cylinders. I'm sure you've had that same experience when you've created some of your gorgeous pieces. I appreciate your taking the time to stop by my blog! Thank you! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is breathtakingly gorgeous!!!
    Love that die and they way you have made your album is fabulous...so many details and great embellies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this is soooo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is. Very beautiful card, I love how you have decorated the back of the card too.

    ReplyDelete